Over the last few years we have steadily built up a reputation as one of the premier Barbel Fisheries in the country. The usual weight range is between 4 to 9 lbs, with many double figure fish. The largest recorded so far weighing in at 14 lbs. The river is quite strong flowing and as a result the fish are extremely healthy and strong fighting, so we recommend a minimum of 8 lb line. There is also an abundance of other species to be found, we have recorded bags of Chub in excess of 50 lbs, individual bream to over 9 lbs and river Carp to 27 lbs. There are also many Dace, Bleak and Roach, as well as a healthy head of Pike. There are also numerous lakes and pools in the area where you can fish for Carp and Tench as well as for match fishing. All of which offer various fishing options through out the year.
Just one of a number of well known fishermen to have visited our stretch of the River Wye. John has enjoyed a close relationship with the Red Lion and its fishery for nearly 30 years. John is one of Europes best known fishermen. He is a columnist for Coarse Fisherman, Trout Fisherman, Improve Your Coarse Fishing, The Fly Fishers Journal, Waterlog and Blinker and Carp Hunters Magazine in Europe. He also contributes to The Field, The Independent and The Daily Mail. His pioneering features have been on subjects as diverse as Ferox trout, Taimen, Wensum roach, Wye barbel and Indian mahseer.
Johnny Jensen has been on more than 150 travels around the world in the last 25 years, photographing and fishing - often, targeting remote and exotic places like mountains, jungles, rainforests, and wilderness. We welcomed him the the banks of the Wye in the 90's. You can follow his travels via his online photographic library.
As well as a valid fishing licence, all anglers fishing our stretch of the Wye will need a permit. These are available from the hotel bar or reception at a cost of £12 per day. A limited number of season tickets are available on request, priority is give to existing holders but do become available from time to time. Please contact us to enquire.
- The fishery is open to individuals, small groups and larger groups.
- Breakfasts, lunches and evening meals can be arranged, and of course the bar is open to all.
- Special rates are available for group bookings staying in the hotel, contact us to enquire.
- All baits permitted by the EA are allowed on the stretch.
- Barbless or micro-barb hooks must be used at all times.
- Please note visitors dogs are not allowed on to the fishery.
- No Barbel or Carp to be held in keep nets.
- You must hold a current EA licence, which are available on-line.
- There are pegs available to day ticket fishermen on approx 1 mile.
- All gates must be left open or closed as you found them.
- Residents in the hotel have access to the whole of the 4 miles.